Monday, June 16, 2008

Why not Dad's Day?

I am trying to understand why we call it 'Father's day'. I mean do you call your Dad, Father? I sure don't. I call him Dad. Scottie calls me Daddy. I'm not a priest here. As a matter of fact, I cannot tell you one person who calls their male parental figure 'father'. So why Father's Day? Why not Dad's day or Daddy's day?

None the less, I am extremely grateful and blessed to be Scott and Maggie's Dad. Sure it has it's challenges, but they are few and far between. Those challenges are an afterthought to the fun and excitement that fatherhood brings. Aha, there it was, I said 'father'. Maybe there is reasoning behind Father's Day.

Anyway, I look forward to the future of being Dad/Daddy to Scott, Maggie, and any others that come along. I had a great 'Father's Day 2008', but I think from this moment forward, we will call it Dad's Day in our house.

And please let me know if you call your Dad, Father.


I'm sorry, but this is not a 'Father'.

2 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

My kids have been calling me Pahter. Pronounced "Potter."

I have no idea why but they think it's funny.

I wouldnt know how to spell it but they wrote it on my fathers day card.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures!!! Whatever they choose to call you, you are a wonderful Dad. Happy Fathers Day!!