Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Til death do us part

We've been learning alot about death in our house as of late. First it was the bunnies from the last post. Then I killed a four foot snake this past weekend while we were redoing our flower beds and Scottie saw it all unravel right in front of his eyes.

Now, Rocky has passed. This is our third fish since February 14 when Scottie got Freddy for Valentine's Day. So first it was Freddy, then Charlie, and now, not even Rocky can resist the McNellis knockout punch. Every stinkin time we change the water the poor fish dies. So, my question for you is how do we change the water in the tank without sending the pitiful thing to fish heaven? Does the water have to be treated? Are we doing something wrong? Obviously. According to Scott, Rocky was a very strong fish, but he just died in the rocks. He doesn't seem too upset about it, but he also didn't see me flush it. Suggestions please.

Do not look at picture two if you have a tender heart. It may bring tears.

Scottie as the proud parent.

One fish, two fish, dead fish, blue fish.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

amy wright said...

I have to comment on this one because I have killed more fish than I can count.
But now we have Mr. Bellumnus, and he has become a part of the family. :)
We used to get our fish at Wal-Mart, but we went to Petco for this one. They gave us great advice and also had a 15 day warranty (that sounds kinda sad) on all their fish. We use a cleaner, but it's a different kind for different fish. And we also don't have any rocks or anything decorative in the fish tank. We used to have rocks, but we simplified and it seems to work.
Sorry, maybe too much info.

courtney said...

if you REALLY want to know, this is what we were told (and our betta fish lived for over a freakin' year!)....fill the container with water that you're going to put the fish in and let it sit for 24 hours before you put the fish in it. then, when you change the tank water, let that water sit for 24 hours before you put him back. there you go....

sincerely,

fish expert

rpm said...

As the owner of a 5-yr-old Betta, I just recommend using distilled water (in the cartons) to fill the tank. Pour the fish into a cup with a little of his original water and a little new water, and then replace the rest. Buddy lived over 5 years, no lie.

Anonymous said...

I have no advice here, but just thought this was hilarious. Not funny that you lost your fish, but I've killed several birds in my day.

I can kill just about anything that doesn't come and get me and tell me they're hungry (or I guess cry like a baby).

Wishing you better luck than I ever had! Molly

Anonymous said...

Once, my brother & I wanted blue water for our new fish. So my parents went to go buy us the rocks that make the water appear blue. Well, when they returned the fish had already expired. We just couldn't wait for them to come home, so we decided to use blue food coloring!That was in 1989, I was a 6th grader & my brother was senior!
Jamila

Magpie said...

There are some little drops you can get to treat the new water when changing it out... but the easiest (and cheapest) solution I've ever used is jut to do what Courtney suggested... I usually kept a couple old milk jugs with water in them and let it "age" before I used it in my tank. Tap water typically has chemicals in it (in small amounts) that will kill the fish. Another thing is to make sure you are using water the same temperature as your old fish water... they just don't like the changes otherwise!