Wednesday, March 18, 2009

First Challenge

The last couple of days Scottie has been playing basketball with some of the older kids from the neighborhood. Well, today I got my first taste of what I predict may happen a few times over the next couple of years. Scottie offered up his first challenge to me. Here is how the conversation took place:

Scottie: Hey daddy I am going to go play basketball at Ms. Mary's (next door neighboor).
Me: OK buddy, do you mind if I come play with you.
Scottie: Sure daddy.

Scottie: Hey daddy, do you wanna take me on in a game of one on one? (I guess this is what you pick up hangin with the older kids)
Me: Sure I think I can handle that.

Two lessons Scottie learned on the basketball court today:

1. Learn to lose gracefully
2. Never, I mean never, challenge dad on the basketball court

I have no problem throwing a game of Candyland or Chutes and Ladders to let him win, but it will take a little more for me to lose a game of 'one on one' to the little man. And that first time he beats me with my full effort, I am hangin em up.

No comments: